Wednesday, March 15, 2006

words and writings were all nothing and must die

Not a full year since, being quiet at my work, my heart was filled with sweet thoughts... That the earth shall be made a common treasury of livlihood to whole mankind, without respect of persons; yet my mind was not at rest, because nothing was acted, and thoughts run in me that words and writings were all nothing and must die, for action is the life of all, and if thou dost not act, thou dost nothing.

Gerrard Winstanley: A Watch-Word to the City of London, and the Armie (August 26, 1649)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:49 PM

    beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This and the other Winstanley quote here remind me something I read just recently by Sorel, I'll dig it up soon and post it at mine with links to these. It was about myth and about how politics is experiential rather than (or as much as) ideological. At least that's how I took it.

    ReplyDelete